Snorkeling is an interesting water sport that gives you a scenic view of underwater life. Snorkeling is the practice of swimming through the water with a diving mask called a snorkel. You will not go deep inside the water but you will be close to the water surface seeing the life surviving inside the water.
Snorkeling and Scuba diving are different things. In Scuba diving, you carry a tank on your back for breathing and go deep down to the water. Remove the tank and you are ready for Snorkeling.
There are several places in India where you can enjoy Snorkeling. In case you are looking for recommendations, here is the list of best places for Snorkeling in India. If you are planning a trip to any of these places, you shouldn’t miss enjoying this water sport.
Best Places for Snorkeling in India
Here are the best places in India where you can enjoy the snorkeling. If you love water and waterlife, this water sports is really a must try.
1. Andaman Islands
The Andaman Islands is known for its beautiful beaches and calm water. The beaches around also have rich marine life. So, there are several islands where you can enjoy Snorkeling. Here are the main islands for snorkeling in the Andaman Islands.
- Havelock Island: Havelock island is one of the most beautiful islands in India. This place is also considered as the best place for Scuba diving in India. If you are planning a trip to Andaman and Nicobar, you shouldn’t miss visiting Havelock Island. Most famous Snorkeling site is Elephanta Bech due to peaceful water and soft sand.
- Red Skin Island: Red Skin Island got its name from red corals found in this place. Red Skin island is the part of Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park and is located near Jolly Buoy Island. This is also a good place for enjoying Snorkeling.
- Jolly Buoy Island: I have already mentioned the name of this island in the previous segment. It is close to Red Skin Island and is an equally beautiful place for enjoying Snorkeling. It is also the part of Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park and has clear water and thick forest around.
- Cinque Island: Cinque Island is close to Port Blair and is located in Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park. This island has crystal clear water and black corals. This is also one of the beautiful destinations for Snorkeler.
Approximate Cost: Up to Rs. 1,000 for 30 minutes
2. Netrani Island, Karnataka
Netrani is one of the less known islands of Karnataka but must visit place for Snorkeling. The place is also known as Pigeon Island for its large pigeon population. The place has rich marine life including butterfly fish, parrot fish, eels, mantas, clown fish and more. This makes Netrani island a good place for Snorkeling. You will see rich marine life here.
Approximate Cost: Up to Rs. 1,000 for 30 minutes
Lakshadweep has several islands surrounded by living coral reefs and abundant marine life. So Lakshadweep is also a good destination for snorkeling in India. Here are the islands where you can enjoy snorkeling at Lakshadweep.
- Agatti Island
- Bangaram Island
Approximate Cost: Up to INR 1,000 for 30 minutes
4. Grand Island, Goa
Goa is also a popular place for enjoying several kinds of water sports in India. Grand Island in Goa is the place where you can enjoy snorkeling. The best season for Snorkeling in Grand Island is from mid-October to April. There are 7 different sites for Snorkeling and Diving here.
The only drawback is that the water in Goa is not as clean so visibility is not good. You can still manage to see something under the water.
Approximate Cost: Up to Rs. 2,000 for 30 minutes
5. Tarkarli, Maharashtra
Tarkarli beach is located in Sindhudurg district in the state of Maharashtra. This beach has a rich underwater life with several kinds of fishes and other species. This is the reason, it is an ideal place for scuba diving and Snorkeling. Dolphins, sharks and many colorful tropical plants can be seen here.
Snorkeling season at Tarkarli starts from October to March. Other water sports can be enjoyed in the same season. All the water sports here start at nine in the morning till four o’clock.
Approximate Cost: Up to INR 500 for 1 hour
6. Aravind’s Wall, Pondicherry
Aravind’s wall is also a beautiful destination for snorkeling in India. You can see Whales, lionfish, eels, rays, parrot fish, crustaceans and sea snakes here. The area is the home to a diverse range of sea inhabitants that makes best for snorkeling.
For snorkeling at Aravind’s wall, you need to visit the place from January to June or from September to November.
Approximate Cost: Up to Rs. 1000 for 1 hour
7. Dawki, Meghalaya
Dawki is a small town at the India-Bangladesh border in the West Jaintia Hills of Meghalaya. In Dawki, Shnongpdeng offers you the view of the crystal clear waters of the Umngot river. There are lots of water activities that you can enjoy at this place. Snorkel is one of them. You can plunge into the water and enjoy exploring the tranquil waters and water life of river.
To know more about Dawki, read this: Dawki camping, Meghalaya
Read More, List of best places to snorkel in the world
These are the best places to Snorkeling in India. You can enjoy snorkeling in India at any of these place. Every place has its unique view and water life. So, our suggestion is to not to miss any of these if you love snorkeling.