April is one of the most preferred months for travelers to travel to India. With the mark of the end to the winter, April welcomes the warmth of Spring. The country blooms in various colors and has a lot to offer to the people who visit it. April marks the advent of Summer, and Summers in India are said to touch everyone’s soul.
There are places where one can get away from the summer sun and enjoy cool hilly winds as well as beachy areas where one can enjoy the sun and the underwater. Thus, below is a list of the best places to pack your bags and leave for during the month of April in India.
Best Places to Visit in India in April
Here are the Best Places to Visit in India in April. I hope you will find a perfect place to spend your vacation in India in the month of April.
1. Wayanad, Kerela
If a vacation spent amongst nature is what one is looking for then, Wayanad is the place. It is a rural region in Kerala and is full of spice plantations, historic caves, peaceful village areas, nature-loving people, and a rich natural environment. April is the best time to engage in various water activities, starting from Kayaking to coracle riding.
If one is looking for fun outdoor activities, Wayanad would keep them busy throughout the vacation. But, if one is looking for a relaxing vacation, they can take a walk in the misty mornings, head for an Ayurvedic massage, and rejoice in the natural beauty.
April is a great time to visit Wayanad as the weather is pleasant, and the monsoon season is yet to begin. Here are some things to do in Wayanad in April:
- Visit the Chembra Peak- Trek to Chembra Peak, the highest peak in Wayanad, and enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
- Explore the wildlife sanctuaries– Wayanad is home to several wildlife sanctuaries, including the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary and the Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary. You can spot a variety of animals here, including elephants, tigers, and leopards.
- Go on a tea plantation tour– Wayanad is known for its tea and coffee plantations, and a visit to one of these estates is a must. You can learn about the tea-making process, taste different types of tea, and enjoy the scenic beauty of the plantation.
- Visit the Edakkal Caves– These caves are known for their prehistoric cave paintings and carvings.
- Relax by the waterfalls– Wayanad has several waterfalls, including the Meenmutty Waterfalls, Soochipara Waterfalls, and Kanthanpara Waterfalls, where you can relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the region.
Wayanad in April is a great destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts, offering a range of activities to enjoy amidst the scenic beauty of the region.
2. Andaman Islands
The Andaman Islands are heaven for those who love to spend time on the beach, and enjoy underwater life and mesmerizing beauty of the sea. People who love water sports and underwater activities can look forward to spending a good time in this place. Apart from these, Andaman also has a rich natural environment.
Being a tropical beach, it is bordered by palm grooves enriching its beauty on the land too. Activities like hiking, trekking, etc. can be enjoyed by the people here. To enjoy the culture and cuisine of the land people can stop at Port Blair, Neil Island, or other such destinations.
Here are some things to do in the Andaman Islands in April:
- Explore the beaches– The Andaman Islands are known for their beautiful beaches, including Radhanagar Beach, Elephant Beach, and Vijaynagar Beach. You can enjoy swimming, sunbathing, and other water sports activities here.
- Scuba Diving and Snorkeling– The Andaman Islands are home to a variety of marine life, including coral reefs, colorful fishes, and even sharks. Scuba diving and snorkeling are popular activities in the Andaman Islands, and you can take a dive to explore the underwater world.
- Visit the Cellular Jail– The Cellular Jail in Port Blair is a historic monument that was used by the British to imprison Indian freedom fighters. A visit to the jail will give you an insight into India’s struggle for independence.
- Enjoy water sports– The calm waters of the Andaman Islands in April make it perfect for water sports such as kayaking, parasailing, and jet skiing.
- Explore the Islands- The Andaman Islands have a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty and scenic views. You can take a tour of the islands, visit Ross Island, and explore the mangrove forests.
The Andaman Islands in April offer a range of activities to enjoy amidst the beautiful natural surroundings, making it a perfect destination for a relaxing and adventurous holiday.
3. Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh
Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh is famous for its Tibetan culture, monasteries, and natural beauty. It has snowclad mountains all around providing excellent viewpoints. The mountains, pine trees, and gardens of trees leave people with a magical feel.
Some of the places to visit in Dharamshala are Tsuglagkhang Complex, Namgyal Monastery, Masrur, Kareri Lake, and Dal Lake. April is a great time to visit Dharamshala as the weather is pleasant, and the snow has melted, making it ideal for outdoor activities. People here come from all over the world to see and help the Tibetan refugees who have settled in the area. Dharamshala is famous for its trekking, hiking, and skiing areas.
Here are some things to do in Dharamshala in April:
- Trekking– Dharamshala is a popular destination for trekkers and hikers. You can go on a trek to Triund, Kareri Lake, or Indrahar Pass, which offers stunning views of the Himalayas and the surrounding landscape.
- Visit the monasteries– Dharamshala is known for its Buddhist monasteries, including the Dalai Lama Temple Complex and the Namgyal Monastery. You can attend a prayer session or learn about Tibetan culture and history.
- Explore the tea gardens– Dharamshala is famous for its tea plantations, and you can visit one of the tea estates to learn about the tea-making process and taste some of the best tea in the region.
- Sightseeing– Dharamshala has several tourist attractions, including the Bhagsunag Waterfall, Kangra Fort, and St. John in the Wilderness Church.
- Yoga and meditation– Dharamshala is also known for its yoga and meditation centers, offering a peaceful and rejuvenating experience.
4. Kasauli, Himachal Pradesh
Located on the lower edge of the mighty Himalayas, Kasauli is a small town. It was established by the British. A Forest of Cedar trees and pines covers the area. The destination is enchanted by Victorian structures and a serene environment.
Kasauli is infamous for its natural beauty, endangered wildlife, and calm weather to escape the heat. Visit during April and enjoy the cable car ride along the timber trail, trekking, hiking, and other.
Some of the places to visit in Kasauli are Christ Church, Gilbert Trail, Monkey Point, and Kasauli Club. Although, a small area, Kasauli would not disappoint its visitors.
Here are some things to do in Kasauli in April:
- Trekking– Kasauli has several trekking trails that offer stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. You can go on a trek to Monkey Point, Gilbert Trail, or Sunset Point.
- Visit the Christ Church– The Christ Church in Kasauli is a colonial-era church built in 1853. It is one of the oldest churches in Himachal Pradesh and is known for its beautiful stained glass windows.
- Enjoy Nature– Kasauli has several parks and gardens, including the Kasauli Club, Lover’s Lane, and the Shirdi Sai Baba Mandir. You can spend a leisurely afternoon amidst nature and enjoy the scenic beauty.
- Explore the Kasauli Brewery– The Kasauli Brewery is one of the oldest distilleries in Asia, established in 1820. You can take a tour of the brewery and learn about the history and process of whiskey making.
- Shopping– Kasauli has a small market that sells handicrafts, souvenirs, and local produce. You can take a stroll through the market and buy some unique items to take back home.
5. Cherrapunji, Meghalaya
Cherrapunji (aka Sohra) is famous as one of the wettest places in the world. Cherrapunji is home to a lot of caves, waterfalls, and the living root bridge. April is a good time to visit the place as the rainfall is less making it better to explore the area.
Cherrapunji is a town in the state of Meghalaya, in the higher altitudes, and is a few hour’s drive from the capital city of Shillong. One can easily get a cab from Shillong or Guwahati and travel comfortably to Cherrapunji.
It is a great place to enjoy activities like jungle exploration, trekking, caving, or taking a village tour. There are also certain camping spots where people can have a good stay.
Here are some things to do in Cherrapunji in April:
- Visit the Living Root Bridges– Cherrapunji is famous for its Living Root Bridges, which are made of intertwined roots of the Ficus Elastica tree. You can take a trek to these bridges, which are located in the nearby villages and are a unique example of human and nature collaboration.
- Explore the waterfalls– Cherrapunji has several waterfalls, including the Nohkalikai Waterfall, which is one of the tallest waterfalls in India. You can take a dip in the cool waters and enjoy the natural beauty of these falls.
- Learn about the local culture– Cherrapunji is home to the Khasi tribe, who have a rich cultural heritage. You can visit the local villages and learn about their customs, traditions, and way of life.
- Visit the Mawsmai Cave– The Mawsmai Cave is a limestone cave located in Cherrapunji and is known for its natural formations and stalactites. You can take a guided tour of the cave and learn about its geology and history.
- Enjoy the scenic beauty– Cherrapunji is blessed with stunning landscapes and panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys. You can take a leisurely walk, enjoy a picnic, or just sit back and soak in the serene ambiance.
Also Read, Best places to visit in Northeast India
6. Shillong, Meghalaya
Known as Scotland of the East, Shillong is a place worthy of the name. It is a spectrum of natural beauty, a vivid culture, and mouth-watering cuisines. It is the capital of Meghalaya and is home to many canyons, waterfalls, parks, and much more.
The heart of the city is the Police Bazar where all the tourists go out for an evening walk and indulge in buying various things and trying various delicacies. Shillong is a great place to have a romantic vacation and a relaxing time. The weather makes it perfect to enjoy quality.
Shillong in April is a beautiful time to visit as the weather is pleasant with temperatures ranging between 12-20°C. The city is known for its scenic beauty, rolling hills, and waterfalls, which are at their best during this time of the year.
One of the main attractions in Shillong is Umiam Lake, which offers stunning views and a variety of water sports activities. Other popular tourist spots include Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak, and Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures.
April is also a great time to explore the local cuisine and markets of Shillong. The city is known for its delicious street food, including momos, jalebis, and traditional Khasi dishes like Jadoh and Doh Khlieh.
Here are some things to do in Shillong in April:
- Visit the Umiam Lake– The Umiam Lake is a beautiful man-made reservoir located near Shillong, offering stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. You can take a boat ride, enjoy water sports or simply relax and enjoy the scenic beauty.
- Explore the Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures– The Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures is a museum dedicated to the culture and traditions of the various tribes of Northeast India. You can learn about their history, customs, and way of life.
- Trek to the Living Root Bridges– Shillong is located close to several villages that are known for their Living Root Bridges. You can take a trek to these bridges, which are made of intertwined roots of the Ficus Elastica tree, and are a unique example of human and nature collaboration.
- Enjoy the local cuisine– Shillong has a vibrant food culture, with a range of local delicacies to try. You can sample the local street food, visit the local markets and try some of the unique dishes like Jadoh, Tungrymbai, and Dohneiiong.
- Visit the Elephant Falls– The Elephant Falls is a beautiful waterfall located near Shillong, and is named after a rock resembling an elephant near the falls. You can take a dip in the cool waters and enjoy the natural beauty of the falls.
Nainital is one of the most famous tourist places in India and one of the Best Places to Visit in April. It is famous for its scenic beauty, lush greenery, and lakes. It is in fact known as the Lake District of India. Some of the famous lakes include the Naini Lake, Bhimtal, and Sattal.
Apart from the lakes Eco Cave Garden, Naina Devi Temple, Jim Corbett National Park, Himalaya Darshan Point, and Lovers Point are some of the tourist attractions. People can go boating in the lakes. It is great to rent a bike or scooter to move around the city.
Nainital is known for its picturesque beauty and serene atmosphere, and April is a great time to witness the natural beauty of the place. Some of the popular tourist attractions in Nainital include Naini Lake, Naina Devi Temple, Tiffin Top, and Snow View Point. Recently, Kaichi Dham become more popular and tourists always visit this place when they go to Nainital.
8. Matheran, near Mumbai
Matheran is a hill station situated near Mumbai. It is a unique destination as it is automobile-free, meaning motor vehicles are banned in this area. It is a great destination to escape city life. Being a small hill town, Matheran has a lot in its stores- lush valleys, viewpoints, trekking areas, and forts.
Visitors may enjoy a lot of places ranging from mountain points like Sunset, Panorama, Louisa, and One Tree Hill to the historical ruins of Fort Prabal and Fort Irshalgad. One can enjoy a toy train ride here. This place is also famous as a honeymoon destination.
In April, the temperature ranges between 16-32°C, making it a perfect time to explore the town and its surroundings. One of the main attractions in Matheran is the Matheran Toy Train, a narrow gauge railway that offers breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
Also, read Best waterfalls near Mumbai during monsoon
9. Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
Tawang is a town in the state of Arunachal Pradesh which is covered by the beauty of Himalayan nature. It is dominated by Buddhist culture thus one can see a lot of monasteries in the area.
There are a lot of tourist attractions in Tawang which include attractions like Madhuri Lake, Turanang Falls, the war memorial, Dirang Monastery, Sela Pass, Bumla Pass, and others. One needs to get an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to enter Arunachal Pradesh which can be issued from offices located in Guwahati, Tezpur, Kolkata, and New Delhi.
Tawang in April can be a good time to visit if you are interested in experiencing the snow and cold weather. During April, Tawang experiences a sub-zero temperatures with occasional snowfall, making it an ideal time for winter sports enthusiasts. However, the weather conditions can be challenging for some travelers, and roadblocks due to snowfall can be a common occurrence.
10. Coonoor, Tamil Nadu
Coonoor is a famous hill station in Tamil Nadu, located on the Nilgiri Ranges. Coonoor has all the qualities of a hill station excluding the hassle and crowd. The weather is pleasantly cool in April which makes it one of the Best Places to Visit in April. There is less fog giving an exquisite view of the waterfalls.
There are various valleys and parks in the area. One can visit Sim’s Park which is a public garden with plants like rhododendrons, roses, and eucalyptus trees. People can enjoy activities like coracle rides, horse riding, trekking, camping, and hiking in Coonoor.
Khajjiar is geographically, a very small place. But, the tranquil nature makes it a perfect honeymoon destination for all. Located in Himachal Pradesh, it is breathtakingly beautiful with dense high-altitude forests and lush meadows. Khajjiar gets an abundance of snowfall in winter as well as during summers which adds to the fresh greenery.
Not only natural beauty, but this place also has a lot of activities, like, trekking, horse riding, paragliding, camping, etc.
The lakes and green valleys make Kodaikanal an alluring destination to visit during the summer. People who do not enjoy the summer sun can look forward to having a good time in this place. April is the right time to enjoy the blooming rhododendron flower, and kurinji flowers (blooms once in 12 years). It is also a good time for couples to go on a honeymoon and spend their time amidst nature and mist. The greenery adds to the beauty of the place.
These are the Places to Visit in April in India. Whether an escape from the heat or embracing the sunshine, India has a wide range of places where people can travel during April. Hills, valleys, meadows, or beaches, you wish for it and India has a place to offer. So, pack your bags and have a great time amidst nature.