Alibag originally known as Alibaug is located in the Raigad district of Maharashtra. It is a coastal and municipal council, near to Mumbai city in the Konkan range. It is a cool weekend spot for people on Mumbai and other nearby cities. Alibaug is well-known for its beautiful clean beaches covered with coconut trees. It has a pollution-free environment with plenty of temples and forts to make your visit interesting and fun.
This town was developed by the naval chief Sarkhel Kanhoji Angre of Shivaji Maharaj's Kingdom back in the 17th century. It is the headquarter of Raigad district. Alibag was previously known as Kaluba. Bene Israeli Ali was a rich man in the city who owned garden. His gardens were filled with plantations of Mango trees and Coconut trees. People addressed this place as ‘Ali chi Baug', Baug- meaning garden in Marathi. From here, Alibaug got its name derived. Rewdanda, Chaul, Nagon, Aakshi, Varsoli, Thal, Kihim and Aawas were the villages togetherly known as- Ashtagare at that time.
People living in Alibag are Hindus and Muslims mostly. They have their local language as Marathi. People here are friendly and treat you with great hospitality. Typical tropic weather can be seen in Alibag. Special dishes at Alibag includes mostly seafood with the rich taste of Konkan.
Festivals celebration is carried out with great joy by the locals here. Ganesh Chaturthi is the festival that indicates the unit of the people here. Pola, a rural festival of Alibag is widely celebrated. It accounts for the cattle and the equipment used in cultivation by the farmers. Puran-Poli is the remarkable traditional dish, prepared during this occasion. Another festival celebrated in Alibag is Nag Panchami considered as a religious festival. During this festival, people worship the Snake God, Shesh Nag and secure its blessings by offering milk to the snake.
FUN THINGS TO DO AT ALIBAG
- Alibag is not going to disappoint you when it comes to fun, thrill, and excitement. Though being a small town, it has lots of things to keep you entertained.
- Beaches are one of the points of attraction that Alibag serves. Alibag beach comes to the first position when someone thinks about Alibag. It has got a peculiar character of the beautiful sunset and sunrise view delighting every visitor.
- Home to the well-known beach Mandwa, Alibag has a never-ending crowd from cities all over India. It is considered to be a regular spot of Film-Stars as they visit here every now and then for shootings.
- Beaches in Alibag gives you exciting and thrilling water sports. You can enjoy them to the fullest.
- Apart from beaches, it also has landscape significance of historical and religious places. A number of forts are located here. Some of them are in the middle of the waterbody! You will have to travel by boat to reach the forts.
- Vrindavan Farm is a 28 acres long Farm that has different, replenishing variety of plantations to make you wonder. Some of them are mango, chikoo, guava, banana, custard apple trees and cacti, croton, etc.
These are the nearby destinations that can add fun to your trip to Alibag:
- Murud-Janjira Fort
- Kolaba Fort
- Sagargad Fort
- Native Biodiversity Garden at Pen
- Gateway of India, Mumbai