Lansdowne is a hill station town situated in the Uttarakhand state and is not known by a lot of tourists even in India. Not much people live here and the town is not very happening. Being a hill station, people now have started visiting this place and this brings some a little hustle and bustle to the place. The hills here are alive with the sound of music and a breathtaking scenic view that will amaze you to no end Originally known as Kaludanda, which means black and ‘Danda’ meaning hill in Garhwali, Lansdowne was renamed after the then Viceroy Lord Lansdowne in 1887.
Lansdowne was developed by the Britishers for training the recruits of the Garhwal Rifles. Lansdowne also served as a major place of the activities of freedom fighters from British Garhwal during pre-independence. The command office of famous Garhwal Rifles is also located in Lansdowne. Also mentioned as the quietest hill station one can ever witness, it is located at an altitude of 1700 meters above sea level and the whole area is surrounded with thick oak and blue pine forests in the Pauri Garhwal district.
SUGGESTED THINGS TO DO
Lansdown is an offbeat tourist trail which is an untouched city situated miles away from the hustle and bustle of the city. With such exotic places and culture, Lansdowne in Uttarakhand is the best and the perfect hill station if you’re looking to get away from your hectic schedule and experience the calmness and spirituality inside you. So, in order to make the most of your stay in Lansdowne here are a few things that you must try to get the best hill station experience ever.
- First visit the Bhulla Lake, Tip N Top, and St. John’s Church. These are the three basic places that you must go to get that hill station vibe. Tip N Top is basically a small hilltop viewpoint to witness the chilly weather of Lansdowne and to see the incredible Himalayas.
- The next place where you must go to is the local temples situated around the city as spirituality is a key factor of this place. Some of them are Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple, Kanvashram and Bhim Pakora.
- The next is the adventure of Uttarakhand which is camping in Lansdowne and visiting the Kalagarh Tiger Reserve. Also, snow point viewing is one of them which will probably satisfy all you needed from this place.
The place has quite a few places that you can visit during your holiday and these are-
- Kanvashram: This is an ashram situated in the middle of dense forests and hills and is an ideal place to come to and reflect and meditate.
- St Mary's Church: This Church flaunts a haunting old-world architecture that will take your breath away. The church was neglected after the independence and was converted into a museum by the Garhwal Rifles Regimental Centre.
- Bhulla Tal
- Jungle safari