The Tulip garden, also known as Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip garden spread over an area of about 30 hectares. This Tulip garden is Asia’s largest tulip garden which is located at Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India. Previously, this garden was named Model Floriculture Center.
The tulip garden is located on the foothills of Zabarwan Range. You can see the beauty of Dal Lake from here. This garden was inaugurated in 2007 to boost floriculture and tourism in Kashmir Valley. This beautiful tulip garden in India is built on a slanted field in a terraced fashion which consists of seven terraces. This gives it a beautiful look.
There are many other species of flowers like hyacinths, daffodils, and ranunculus apart from tulips. The garden looks like it has a hundred colors of flowers’ carpet lying on the earth. One could see millions of tulip bulbs, blooming every year in Spring here.
Tulip Festival in Kashmir:
The Tulip Festival is an annual celebration which is celebrated every year during the spring season in Kashmir valley. This Tulip fest has a wide range of flowers in the Tulip garden. This is an effort by the Government of Jammu and Kashmir to increase tourism.
This Tulip garden has sixty (60) types of tulips that are planted in such a way that they form a beautiful carpet of hundreds of colors. This beautiful view attracts thousands of tourists from both national and international every year in Spring.
Tulip Festival 2020 is a must-go event if you are true flower enthusiasts and nature lovers. If you are living in India or anywhere on the earth and you haven’t seen the tulip till now, then go to the tulip festival in Jammu and Kashmir. There are several species of tulip flowers. Here is the list of some main attractions in Tulips in this festival:
- Standard Tulips: You can find this Tulip anywhere. These are the common tulips that you can also find in any florist shop or local garden.
- Double Bloom: The double bloom has many layers instead of a single petal like in standard tulip.
- Parrot Tulips: They appear as tangled petals in many colors portraying the feathers of a tropical parrot.
- Fringed Tulips: The edges and shapes of these tulips are frilly and fringed.
- Bi-Color Standard Tulips: They have different colors in a single tulip.
- Rembrandt: It is named after Rembrandt van Rijn who was a master of light and shadow. Rembrandt tulip flowers look like painterly strokes of red or yellow on a tall tulip.
- Fosteriana Tulips: These are wild species found in the mountainous areas of Central Asia. They have height and have pretty buds compared to the standard tulip.
- Lily-Flowering Tulips: These tulip flowers have long pointed petals with an arch at the tips. They bloom in mid and late spring.
- Single Late Tulips: Stunning cup-shaped tulips with the widest range of colors.
- Triumph: A wide range of shades, splendid tones, and bi-colors are the characteristic features of these tulips.
Dates Of Kashmir Tulip Festival:
The Tulip Festival is hosted in Kashmir Valley during the onset of Spring Season every year. The main dates of the Tulip Festival, Kashmir 2020 are April 4th till April 10th. But you can visit the garden from 1st April to 30th April 2020.
How to reach tulip garden Srinagar?
The Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden is easily accessible by road, by Air and by railway route.
The Srinagar has Sheikh ul Alam Airport, which is an international airport. The tulip garden is just 15 km away from the center of the city and 22 Kms from Sheikh ul Alam International Airport Srinagar. You can hire a cab/taxi to reach the venue of the Tulip festival 2020 directly from the airport.
There are buses that connect to the garden at minimal rates. This tulip garden is 8 Kms from Lalchowk Srinagar.
The tulip garden in Srinagar is just 18 kms from Srinagar Railway Station. From here, you can take a taxi or bus to the tulip garden.
Timing and Entry Fee:
The tulip garden will open from 9 Am to 7 Pm every day for visitors.
- Entry Fee: INR 25 (For Children), INR 50 (For Adult)
- Timings: 9 AM-7 PM
- Address: Jammu and Kashmir, Cheshma Shahi Road, Rainawari, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001
Other Details About The Tulip Festival in India
The tulip garden authorities have introduced surplus facilities like free Wi-Fi, additional fountains, washrooms (separately for disabled people) and drinking points for the visitors.
Plants like Daffodils, Hyacinths, Narcissus and few other ornamental plants are planted in the garden to decorate the area. This will give a beautiful look to the garden and also give Insta-worthy pics to visitors.
You can also enjoy local shopping and food items in this tulip festivals. The authorities are allowing decorated stalls to put up displaying souvenirs, Kashmiri food, and handicrafts for visitors to enjoy outside the garden area.
Read More, List of Best flower festivals in the world
This is the complete guide to go Tulip Festival in Kashmir, India. Do explore this tulip garden in India once in life if you are a nature lover.