Reaching Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh, India, requires a bit of planning as the region is remote and has limited connectivity. Here are the common routes and modes of transportation to reach Spiti Valley:
- Manali to Spiti Valley: This is the most popular route to reach Spiti Valley. You can take a bus or hire a taxi from Manali to travel through the picturesque Rohtang Pass and Kunzum Pass, which are usually open from June to October.
- Shimla to Spiti Valley: Another route is via Shimla. You can take a bus or hire a taxi from Shimla to travel through Kinnaur district and enter Spiti Valley via the Hindustan-Tibet Road.
- Chandigarh to Spiti Valley: If you're coming from Chandigarh, you can travel to Spiti Valley by road via Shimla or Manali.
By Public Transport:
- Buses: Himachal Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) operates regular bus services from cities like Shimla, Manali, and Reckong Peo to various towns in Spiti Valley. However, the frequency of buses might be limited, so it's advisable to check the schedules in advance.
- Shared Taxis: Shared taxis are available from Shimla, Manali, and Reckong Peo. These taxis follow fixed routes and can be a convenient option if you don't want to hire a private vehicle.
- The nearest airport to Spiti Valley is Bhuntar Airport, near Kullu. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Manali and continue the journey to Spiti Valley via the Manali-Leh highway.
- The nearest major railway station to Spiti Valley is Chandigarh Railway Station. From there, you can travel by road to Spiti Valley via Shimla or Manali.
It's important to note that the roads to Spiti Valley are often challenging, especially during winters and monsoons. It's advisable to check the weather and road conditions before embarking on your journey. Additionally, considering the high altitude of the region, proper acclimatization is crucial to avoid altitude sickness.
Private vehicles or hiring a local taxi are recommended for convenience and flexibility during your visit to Spiti Valley.